MEDIA ALERT! MEDIA ALERT! MEDIA ALERT!
2017 ROCHESTER HEART WALK & RUN
WHO: Rochester American Heart Association
WHAT: 2017 Rochester Heart Walk & Run
WHERE: Frontier Field
WHEN: April 22, 2017. Registration opens at 7 a.m./Program begins at 8:30 a.m./Walk & Run start at 9 a.m.
Pre-registration is not necessary. Anyone can come and walk or run!
WHY: Money raised funds critical research, education, advocacy, community programs and awareness
- The Rochester Heart Walk & Run is one celebratory day in the year-round opportunity to take those small steps towards a healthier lifestyle.
- The American Heart Association wants everyone to be Healthy For Good. Small steps, like taking part in the Walk & Run, can mean big gains in both someone’s own health, and the health of the community. It starts by taking that small step!
- Heart disease and Stroke remain the No. 1 and No. 3 killers in Rochester, (Stroke is the No.5 killer nationally), but the American Heart Association notes that most cardiac events may be prevented by controlling risk factors including smoking, obesity and high blood pressure. Staying physically active through activities like walking can help reduce your risk for heart disease and stroke.
- Lauren Dixon & Mike Schwabl are the 2017 Chairs and will be announcing the new 2018 Chair.
- Each year a local honoree is celebrated with the Lifestyle Change award, sponsored by CooperVision.
- Last year, the Rochester American Heart Association raised $702,000 and over 8,000 people participated. The goal: Break that record!
- Activities include a KidZone, UR Medicine LIFE IS WHY photo op area, Hands-Only CPR training, a health expo & screenings and healthy snacks & water by Wegmans.
- For the second year in a row, Adam Chodak of WROC-TV will emcee as will long-time emcee Steve Hausmann of 92.5 WBEE of Entercom.
- That Party Band will entertain us, get us warmed up and psyched!
- The walk is free, however there are fees to run. To donate or sign-up for the walk & run visit www.Rochesterheartwalkrun.org To volunteer or learn more, visit www.heart.org/RochesterNY or by calling the American Heart Association at #585-371-3117.
- The Rochester Heart Walk & Run is sponsored nationally by Subway and locally by Dixon Schwabl, UR Medicine, Excellus Blue Cross Blue Shield, Rochester Regional Health, CooperVision, Wegmans Food Markets, Bergmann Associates, SWBR Architects, Entercom, WBEE 92.5, WROC-TV, Frontier, LVW Advisors, Paychex, RIT, Simcona Electronics and Xceed.
Donations are being accepted online at www.Rochesterheartwalkrun.org. For more information, visit www.heart.org/RochesterNY or by calling the American Heart Association at 585-371-3117.
Follow us on Twitter @HeartROC #ROCHeartWalkRun #LifeiswhyROC
Media Contact: Jackie Mangione, Regional Communications Director. C/585.967.7749 E/[email protected].