The American Heart Association’s Kids Heart Challenge launches virtual program to prioritize mental and physical health.
Calling all Schools in the Greater Washington Region:
With the stress of schools across the country shifting to remote learning or ending early, it’s more important than ever to maintain a heart-healthy lifestyle. That’s
why the American Heart Association’s school-based program, Kids Heart Challenge, is providing solutions to help families curb cabin fever.
Join the American Heart Association and enroll your school today for the free Kids Heart Challenge 10-Day Virtual!
Keep you students and families physically active and heart healthy while at home…
- 10-day challenges focuses on…
- Healthy eating
- Moving more
- Reducing stress
- Improving mental health
Students’ daily school routines provide structure and curriculum to guide students to meet physical activity recommendations. The American Heart Association, the world’s leading nonprofit organization focused on heart and brain health for all, is helping parents find ways to keep kids physically active and meet 60 minutes per day of moderate- to vigorous-intensity activity goal while schools are closed.
The Kids Heart Challenge is an activity-based program embraced by educators because of its roots in proven science and a more than 40-year history of inspiring children to stay active. The new virtual format brings a needed resource to safely connect students and support their physical and emotional well-being while reducing stress and anxiety that can result while being separated from school and friends. Daily challenges include four key areas of focus:
- The physical activity prompts help pass the time with activities such as hide and seek, yoga, gardening, rope jumping tricks or a dance party.
- The community skills components allow participants to learn CPR and the warning signs of a stroke.
- The personal growth section asks children to reflect on gratitude and individual goal setting.
- The last component brings the entire family together for kid-friendly cooking and meaningful discussion topics such as how heart disease has touched their family.
Speaking of Bringing the entire family together! We have a one-night virtual Family Event.
If your school is interested in learning more about our new virtual Kids heart Challenge events, please contact our local Youth Market staff:
Angela Love: Angela.Love@heart.org – Fairfax County, Loudoun County, Manassas City and Manassas Park
Susan Puritz: Susan.Puritz@heart.org – Montgomery County