The American Heart Association in Maine recently presented Unum with its Corporate Leadership Award – one of six awards presented in the Association’s Eastern States region which includes 14 states from Maine to Virginia, and the District of Columbia.
Mike Simonds, President and CEO of Unum, received the award along with Nicole Nappi, Unum’s Quality Auditor for Group Underwriting and Elizabeth DiSotto, Unum’s AVP Partner Management on October 27th at Unum’s corporate office in Portland. Lena Minervino, the Association’s Development Director and Brian Shankey, the Association’s Executive Director for Northern New England presented this award for supporting the Association’s lifesaving work in Maine.
“Unum has participated in the Maine Heart Walk for many years, Mike Simonds served as the 2021 Maine Heart Walk chair leading that campaign by increasing the number of Heart Walk teams and corporate fundraising efforts,” said Minervino. “Mike is an advocate for health equity, diversity and inclusion in the workforce. Utilizing their own internal communications, Unum raised awareness about heart disease and stroke, shared prevention tips and risk factor mitigation by sharing the Association’s lifesaving messages with their employees.”
Companies considered for this award must meet the following criteria:
- Demonstrate exemplary support of, and involvement with, the mission of heart health over a period of five or more years
- Involvement with at least one Association and wellbeing program
- Significantly utilizes internal activities and communications channels to promote health and well-being
- Senior leadership are providing meaningful volunteer impact within Association’s executive leadership committees
- Demonstrates a true commitment to the mission through ongoing sustained financial support