Welcome, and thank you for helping us build a Healthier Long Island!
The American Heart Association recently launched the Healthier Long Island Initiative in response to poor community health conditions and a lack of access to care exacerbated by COVID-19. Let’s get started!
I want to take control of my health!
I want to help my community take control of their health!
The Healthier Long Island initiative wants to empower community advocates, elected officials, community-based organizations and leaders like you to truly impact the health of all Long Island residents. We aim to achieve this goal by providing:
- Blood pressure equipment and education to participating individuals
- AOBP(Automated Office Blood Pressure) machines to participating clinics
- Pop up Food Markets
- Increase awareness of SNAP benefits to attendees
- Advocate for Double-up Food Bucks and other SNAP and WIC incentives to increase the consumption of fruits and vegetables
- Promote farm-to-table incentives
- Multi-pronged effort to raise awareness about blood pressure symptoms and educate residents -prevention, treatment and manage blood pressure
- Digital Media Campaign BP Awareness “Know Your Numbers”
An evaluation of the initiative will be conducted to measure success and to ensure that we are meeting the needs of the community.
For additional information please contact Michele.Gervat@heart.org
Resources for our community: