The American Heart Association recently launched the Healthier Long Island Initiative in response to poor community health conditions and a lack of access to care exacerbated by COVID-19.
We will focus our efforts to achieve success through working with community advocates, legislators, and CBOs (community-based organizations) to truly impact and create a Healthier Long Island.
The American Heart Association will provide:
- Blood pressure equipment and education to participating individuals
- AOBP(Automated Office Blood Pressure) machines to participating clinics
- Pop up Food Markets
- Increase awareness of SNAP benefits to attendees
- Advocate for Double-up Food Bucks and other SNAP and WIC incentives to increase the consumption of fruits and vegetables
- Promote farm-to-table incentives
- Multi-pronged effort to raise awareness about blood pressure symptoms and educate residents -prevention, treatment and manage blood pressure
- Digital Media Campaign BP Awareness “Know Your Numbers”
An evaluation of the initiative will be conducted to measure success and to ensure that we are meeting the needs of the community.
Resources for our community: