As new members join, local volunteers in Utica and Syracuse are being honored by the American Heart Association for “transforming” the heart health of Central New York. Both boards were recently recognized in the “Gold Standard Board” recognition program for the 2017-2018 fiscal year. Syracuse earned a gold-level distinction and Utica earned bronze. Boards were recognized for helping the American Heart Association make strides toward its 2020 Impact Goal: to improve the cardiovascular health of all Americans by 20 percent while reducing deaths from cardiovascular diseases and stroke by 20 percent.
“The American Heart Association commends these volunteers for exemplary efforts to improve the health of their community,” said Nancy Brown, CEO of the American Heart Association. “Attaining this honor requires a motivated base of volunteers working together to make the healthy choice the easy choice for their community.”
Board members for the 2017-2018 fiscal year in Utica are:
- Marolyn Wilson, chairperson, Holland Farms
- Jonathan Henderson, MD, president, Utica Pediatrics
- Albert Pylinksi, 2018-2019 chairperson, NYCM Insurance Company
- Brian Bellair, Whitesboro High School
- Gerard Capraro, PhD, Capraro Technologies, Inc.
- Allison Damiano-DeTraglia, The Paige Group
- Phyllis Ellis, Oneida County Health Department
- Theresa Flemma, M. Griffith Investment Services
- Cynthia Jones, MD, RPCN
- Daniel Jones, Northwestern Mutual Financial Network Greater NY Group
- Nicholas Mayhew, GPO Federal Credit Union
- Michael McGraw, Strategic Financial
- Merle Myerson, MD
- Michael Ogden, Little Falls Hospital/Bassett Healthcare Network
Board members for the 2017-2018 fiscal year in Syracuse are:
- James Jerose, chairperson, Nuvenu Business Advisors
- Satish Krishnamurthy, MD, president, Upstate Medical University
- Lisa Dunn Alford, Onondaga County
- Bob Allen, Crouse Health
- Luis Castro, MD, St. Joseph’s Health
- Riya Chacko, MD, Crouse Health
- Todd Cross, Syracuse Crunch Hockey Club
- Angela Franco, Fust Charles Chambers LLP
- Troy Hogue, AMR
- Uzma Iqbal, MD, FACC, FASE, SJH Cardiology Associates
- Mary King, Hancock Estabrook
- Al Marzullo, IBEW Local 43
- Rita Reicher, PhD
- Randy Sabourin, Metro Fitness Clubs
- Samuel Stamps, C&S Companies
- Peggy Thomas, MSN, RN-BC, St. Joseph’s Health
- Fanny Villarreal, YWCA – Girls, Inc.
- Duane Wiedor, Welch Allyn
- Lisa White, Excellus BlueCross BlueShield
Boards designated as Gold Standard must meet a high number of criteria, which include engaging local employers to participate in health initiatives such as CPR education, nutrition, high blood pressure management, walking, and sodium reduction; and focusing on increasing access to safe places for children to be active and ensuring access to nutritious food and beverage choices in each community. These criteria have been shown by research to have positive impacts on population health.
Five board members are joining this award-winning board for the 2018-2019 fiscal year. The new board members are:
- Matthew Briggs, IOA/Insurance Office of America
- Rob Edgerton, Raymour & Flanigan
- Steve Gassner, Mohawk Valley Water Authority
- Jennifer Keida, Standard Insulating Co.
- Linda McCormack-Miller, DNP, RN, NEA-BC, Mohawk Valley Health System
A new chairperson will lead the board in the 2018-2019 fiscal year. Albert Pylinski is taking over as chairperson. Phyllis Ellis is stepping into the role of president-elect.
Two board members are joining the Syracuse board for the 2018-2019 fiscal year. The new board members are:
- Brian Howard, Tompkins Financial Advisors
- Monique Wright-Williams, Syracuse City School District