We are on a mission to be Healthy for Good™ every day. Taking control of your health and well-being is simple. It starts with eating smart, reducing stress, and of course moving more!
Find your fierce with the American Heart Association (AHA) and Live Fierce sponsor Sheehy Auto Stores by joining us for National Walking Day on Wednesday, April 6 and accepting the challenge to move more all month long.
Physical activity is one of the most powerful tools to relieve stress, boost your mood and reduce risks of cardiovascular disease, and according to a recent study published in the Journal of the American Medical Association, increasing daily activity by just 10 minutes could help to save more than 100,000 lives a year.
“We are thrilled to once again support National Walking Day and encourage our community to move more because staying active is one of the best ways to keep our minds and bodies healthy,” said Vince Sheehy, President of Sheehy Auto Stores. “Taking steps to improve your health today can help you feel better and live better.”
Most of us want to be more active to keep our bodies and minds healthy, but we’re not sure where to start. Follow these five simple steps to move more, Live Fierce and be Healthy for Good.
- Take a walk on April 6 for National Walking Day! Bring sneakers with you to work or wear your workout gear all day long to make it easy to get up and move. Try scheduling a short movement break or take a stroll during lunchtime. Track your steps to share with us on social media using #MoveMore! To register a team for National Walking Day or submit your company’s total steps, please email Kimberly.Jackson@heart.org.
- Make every move count! Participate in a community conversation and live fitness demonstration on April 6 at 5:30PM. After a day of walking, join the AHA and Kaiser Permanente for this free and interactive webinar. Learn tips to kickstart a fitness routine and participate in a live virtual workout with international fitness entertainer Laurent Amzallag. Register Here.
- Commit to move more with a Fierce 5 Movement Break. Remember, every movement counts! Start with just 5 minutes or split up your movement throughout the day. Join us for Fierce 5 movement breaks, workouts, streaming events, tips and activities that will motivate you to move more every day so you can Live Fierce.
- Join Healthy for Good. Sign up for Healthy for Good tips and tools for inspiration to eat smart, move more and be well all year long.
- Register for the Heart Walk. Stay committed to moving more for all of 2022 by registering for one of our local events like the DC Heart Walk on November 5, 2022! Have fun with friends and family as you get hearts pumping and become a champion for health and well-being! Join the movement.
The AHA recommends most adults should get at least 150 minutes of moderate movement, 75 minutes of vigorous activity, or a combination of those activities per week. Getting the recommended amount of physical activity is linked with a lower risk of diseases, stronger bones and muscles, and improved mental health. Thirty minutes of brisk walking at least five days a week is a great way to meet this goal, but there are countless ways to move more every day. Stand, stretch, walk, dance … do whatever gets you moving!
For more information and tools for your company to get involved with National Walking Day or another move more challenge, please email Kimberly.Jackson@heart.org.
Sharing the stories of the work of the American Heart Association to be a relentless force for a world of longer, healthier lives.