Thirty-five health care organizations in the Greater Washington Region are among over 1,300 nationwide recognized through the American Heart Association’s (AHA) Target: BP, Check. Change. Control. Cholesterol (CCCC), and Target: Type 2 Diabetes initiatives.
For nearly 100 years, the AHA has been a leading voice and relentless force for a world free of heart disease and stroke. An estimated 126.9 million people in the United States are living with at least one type of cardiovascular disease. Nearly half of adults have high blood pressure, someone with diabetes is hospitalized every 80 seconds for heart disease, and globally 4.5 million deaths are attributed to high cholesterol.
Target: BP, CCCC, and Target: Type 2 Diabetes aim to improve cardiovascular risk factors through science-backed solutions so that everyone has the opportunity to live a longer, healthier life.
“The American Heart Association is committed to advancing equitable health for all and improving cardiovascular outcomes through tools and best practices that improve hypertension awareness, treatment, and control,” Dr. Kelly Epps-Anderson, Greater Washington Region Board president and interventional cardiologist at INOVA Heart & Vascular Institute said.
The following organizations received recognition for their continued efforts to improve heart health in the Greater Washington Region:
- Elaine Ellis Center of Health
- Family and Medical Counseling Service
- La Clinica del Pueblo
- United Health Care (Anacostia Health Center, Brentwood Health Center, Columbia Rd Health Services, East of the River Health Center, Federal City (CCNV), Minnesota Avenue Health Center, Parkside Health Center, Southwest Health Center, Stanton Road Health Center, Upper Cardozo Health Center)
- African American Health Program
- Bay Community Health
- Catholic Charities Medical Clinic
- CCI Health & Wellness Services
- Chinese Culture and Community Service Center
- Community Ministries of Rockville Mansfield Kaseman Clinic
- Holy Cross Health Centers
- Mary’s Center
- Mercy Health Clinic
- Mobile Medical Care
- Muslim Community Center Medical Clinic and Dental Clinic
- Primary Care Coalition
- Proyecto Salud
- GPW Health Center (Dumfries, Manassas, Woodbridge)
- Neighborhood Health (2 East, Casey, Merrifield, Richmond Highway, South County)
Learn more about Target: BP, CCCC, and Target: Type 2 Diabetes.
Sharing the stories of the work of the American Heart Association to be a relentless force for a world of longer, healthier lives.