With the recent coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic keeping more Americans at home, the American Heart Association, the leading voluntary health organization focused on heart and brain health for all, is embracing the new normal and moving it’s iconic Rochester Heart Walk & Run online.
Now in its 30th year, the 2020 Rochester Heart Walk & Run, is a fun and meaningful way to celebrate heart and stroke survivors, raise lifesaving funds and encourage physical activity wherever you are!
- Anyone can join the Heart Walk & Run, whether you are in Rochester, New York or across the nation, supporting local teams is easy and fun.
- It’s free to register to walk but fundraising is encouraged. There is a fee for runners: adults are $40 and kids 15 and under are $20.
- To donate, join a team or sign up for the walk & run, visit RochesterHeartWalk.org. The funds raised from the Rochester Heart Walk & Run go towards research, advocacy, CPR training and to promote better health. Encourage friends and family to join in via e-mail or on social media.
- Utilize the Heart Walk App, named Heart Walk! It is easy and free. Just download from the App store or Google Play.
- Keith Williams and Jennifer Graney, Consiliarium Group, will present the 2020 Lifestyle Challenge Award.
- The 2021 Heart Walk & Run Chair will be announced.
- At the American Heart Association, we are investing our research dollars in the search for answers. We are fast-tracking a special $2.5 million fund for rapid response scientific research projects to investigate the specific cardiovascular implications of coronavirus, investing in short-term projects that can turn around results quickly.
- We are working diligently to provide reliable, science-based information for the approximately 120 million people in the United States who currently have one or more cardiovascular conditions and who already may be at higher risk for COVID-19 complications.
Form a team, or an individual. Invite friends and family to join you, wherever they are. For details, visit www.Rochesterheartwalk.org. For heart health and COVID-19 information, visit www.heart.org/RochesterNY.
The 2020 Rochester Heart Walk & Run presenting sponsors are Bergmann and UR Medicine. NBCNews10 and MIX 100.5 are the media sponsors. Rich Caniglia and Stacey Pensgen, News10NBC meteorologists will emcee with MIX 100.5 providing music. Local musician and NBC’s The Voice finalist, Austin Giorgio will sing the National Anthem. CooperVision is the media challenge sponsor. Paychex is the presenting sponsor of the Run. Butler/Till Media is the Women’s Health Expo sponsor.
Other local sponsors include: The John & Jayne Summers Foundation, Inc., Anchor Innovations, A.R. Arena Products, Bonduelle, JPMorgan Chase & Co., Dixon Schwabl, Elite Choice, M&T Bank, Mower, Rochester Institute of Technology, Rochester Regional Health, St. John Fisher College, SWBR Architects, The Pike Companies, The Summit Federal Credit Union, Wilmorite and Workers United Rochester Regional Joint Board.