The American Heart Association’s Get With The Guidelines® initiative promotes up-to-date, research-based guidelines to ensure all patients have access to lifesaving care.
Twenty-six hospitals in the Greater Washington Region are among the 2,600 nationwide that participate in the American Heart Association’s Get With The Guidelines® initiative to improve outcomes for Americans who experience heart disease or stroke.
Heart disease and stroke are the No. 1 and No. 5 causes of death in the United States, respectively. These health crises require swift and proven treatment to ensure the best outcomes for patients. The American Heart Association, devoted to a world of healthier lives for all, sets the standards for high-quality, science-based care and access that all patients deserve.
“Every 40 seconds, someone in America has a stroke or heart attack,” said Kelly C. Epps-Anderson, M.D., cardiologist at Inova Heart & Vascular Institute and Greater Washington Region Board President. “Access to high-quality care is something that everyone should have, and the Get With The Guidelines program helps to ensure all patients receive the care they need to live healthier lives.”
Each year, the American Heart Association recognizes hospitals across the country for consistently following up-to-date, research-based guidelines to ensure all patients have access to lifesaving care. In the Greater Washington Region, 26 hospitals were recognized this year, receiving a total of 87 awards:
- Adventist HealthCare Shady Grove Medical Center
- Adventist Healthcare White Oak Medical Center
- Doctors Community Medical Center
- Fauquier Hospital
- George Washington University Hospital
- Holy Cross Germantown Hospital
- Holy Cross Hospital – Silver Spring
- Howard University Hospital
- Inova Alexandria Hospital
- Inova Fair Oaks Hospital
- Inova Fairfax Hospital
- Inova Loudoun Hospital
- Inova Mount Vernon Hospital
- MediCorp Health System/Mary Washington Hospital
- MedStar Georgetown University Hospital
- MedStar Montgomery Medical Center
- MedStar Southern Maryland Hospital Center
- MedStar Washington Hospital Center
- Reston Hospital Center
- Sentara Northern Virginia Medical Center
- Sibley Memorial Hospital
- StoneSprings Hospital Center
- Suburban Hospital Johns Hopkins Medicine
- University of Maryland Capital Region Medical Center
- UVA Prince William Medical Center
- VHC Health
Learn more at heart.org/getwiththeguidelines.
Additional Resource: U.S. News & World Report listing: https://www.usnewsbrandfuse.com/AmericanHeartAssociation/.